Engineering Team | Remote | Full Time
Syft - Software Engineer
Location: This is a remote-based role with the option to work from one of our regional offices (London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Liverpool)
What is Syft?
Founded in 2015, Syft is an on-demand marketplace helping Job Seekers and Employers have 100% control and choice over shifts worked in real time. We want to enable Job Seekers to control their schedule, choose their work and enable them to work as many or as few shifts as they want. The platform enables Employers to book reliable, rated and verified staff immediately. At Syft, we’re harnessing innovative technology to revolutionise the flexible staffing sector.
Our results speak for themselves, £8.75 million in VC funding between 2016 and 2018, ‘Recruitment Technology Innovation of the Year’ at the Recruiter Awards, ‘Hottest Platform Economy / Marketplace’ at the Europas and ranked 7th in the ‘Startups 100’ in 2018.
Syft has grown to nearly 200 employees across 8 offices around the UK. In 2019 Syft was acquired by Indeed.com, the world’s #1 job site, allowing us to match our synergies and skyrocket our journey.
Our mission is to help people get jobs by democratising work and giving jobseekers ownership, control, and choice. We are working hard to build a world where access to work and job seekers are frictionless.
You strive to make a positive impact on the world around you through your work. You’re flexible and focused on collaborative approaches to problem-solving — and highly motivated to deliver those solutions with high quality and velocity. You’re also committed to learning and continual improvement.
Responsibilities & Duties
- You’ll be a member of a cross-functional team responsible for delivering ideas to production.
- Responsible for delivering across the stack, you’ll work closely with Product, UX and other engineers to deliver fast, highly usable web applications and the scalable, maintainable backends behind them.
Skills & Experience Required
- Experience working on both UI and backend; knowledge of at least one of Rails / React and a desire to learn about the other.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in teams practising agile methodologies
- At a minimum, able to understand business requirements and translate them into small pieces that can be delivered and validated incrementally; ideally, a strong partner to Product Management and can help drive and refine requirements
- Experience with A/B testing and data-driven methods
- Experience and understanding of how to represent data and solve problems in code
Desirable (nice to have)
- Any of the following are a bonus but not required: understanding of scalability bottlenecks in Rails applications, microservice architecture, building / consuming GraphQL APIs
- A computer science degree might be useful, but not required
- Marketplace Experience or Hiring/ Recruitment Space Experience
You’ll fit right in at Syft if:
You’re Flexible- able to consider challenges from different perspectives.
You’re Entrepreneurial- see how a challenge could become an opportunity.
You take Accountability through thick and thin, inviting ideas for improvement.
You’re Data Driven- see the necessity of analysing metrics when devising solutions.
You’re Passionate about what you do and self motivated.
You can Adapt to your team’s challenges and Collaborate with other departments.
What you’ll get:
- Flexible work arrangements, remote and working from home.
- Employee Assistance programs, free eyecare vouchers, discounted gym memberships and more.
- Unique bonus structure for every employee.
- Social events and lunch and learns.